Miami County could have another client for its growing building inspections services following discussions Feb. 28 with Allen County officials.
The Miami County commissioners met in a work session with Allen County commissioners Jay Begg and Cory Noonan; Chris Saddelmeyer, a Shawnee Twp. trustee; and Jeff Sprague of the Allen County Development Group. Also participating in the meeting was Rich Osgood, Miami County's development department director.
The Allen County officials said they were looking for a better way to handle commercial building inspections in the county areas of Allen County. The inspections now are done by the city of Lima department, Begg said.
Miami County Commissioner Jack Evans said the county would be willing to look at a possible agreement, but added the county continues to experience difficulty finding inspectors.
Miami County inspectors are dual certified in both building and electrical inspections. The department already handles all inspections across Miami County and contracts to provide services with all or part of the jurisdictions in Darke, Mercer, Auglaize and Shelby counties.
Noonan said Miami County has a good reputation with its inspection services. "That is what really drew us," he said.
The commissioners asked Osgood to discuss options further with Sprague.
In official action last week, the commissioners:
- Approved replacing the Mill Road Bridge 00.30 in Elizabeth Township. As part of the project, the county engineers office will accept bids for prestressed concrete beams on March 20.
- Authorized the development department to negotiate a contract with Upward Brand Interactions for a website design. A committee reviewed proposals for the project before the company was recommended to the commission.
- Accepted a quote for the sheriff’s office to buy 10 HP ProDesk 600 computers, monitors, speaker bars and licenses for $12,150. The purchase will be from SHI. Sheriff Dave Duchak said the purchase is according to the office’s annual equipment schedule.
- OK’d repairs to a Dodge Durango in the facilities and operations department fleet after it was struck in a hit and run crash while parked on the street. The repairs by Hayes Collision & Restoration of Troy was authorized for up to $2,625.
- Appointed William G. Rozell of Troy to the county public defender commission effective March 2 through March 1, 2022.